With all the noise about XBOX 360 Live Update Preview, everyone seems keep on asking when will it be released. To be honest, Iâ€™m not quite sure. But, you donâ€™t really miss alot of stuff. Basically it is not a huge difference, well mostly it is done under the hood.
As of this writing, my XBOX 360 software version is 2.0.8496.0
When I got notification in my e-mail about the invite, I straight away turn on my XBOX. Nothing happened at first, until I sign in to XBOX Live. Then boom, it ask for the updates. It took me 30 minutes for the updates. When it restarted, I then look at the dashboard.
One thing I notice was the Game Achievements. Then suddenly my XBOX just hang and I have to force restart it. OK I thought may be that was a bug. Then I go to My Friends and boom, it says I need to download and update that channel.
Fineâ€¦ then another 15 minutes later, smooth sail. Iâ€™m just happy with the new UI and the speedy response. Through out this preview, the tester will get a preview channel where we can have all sort of latest news regarding the XBOX Live Preview.
Another new things to checkout is Avatar Marketplace.
If you not yet have access to XBOX Live Update Preview, againâ€¦ donâ€™t worry since you are not missing any big stuff like Games on Demand etc. The complete list of the new features are (extracted from Microsoft):
- Parties – (Available Now, US Only)
Everyone loves to Party! Check out the new and improved party reconnections and streamlined party invites.
- Party Reconnections – If a user is disconnected from a party inadvertently, they will be automatically reconnected to the party without any user interaction
- Streamlined Party Invites – Invites are now just a click away! Never again will you have to navigate through multiple screens to get all your friends together.
Been an Xbox LIVE member for a while? Check out some of the new features we’ve added just for you.
- Gold Member Veterans – Been here long? Show it off! Anyone looking at your gamer card will now know how long youâ€™ve been an Xbox LIVE Gold member. And who knows, there might be other perks for you, too. Thanks for sticking around!
- Subscription Notification – If your Xbox LIVE subscription is about to run out, you will now be notified when you sign into Xbox LIVE. No more surprises the next time you hop in to frag your friends.
- Fixing Invalid WLID’s – If the Winodws Live ID (WLID) you provided has expired, you will now be prompted to update it the next time you sign into Xbox LIVE. (This feature coming later in the Preview)
Many changes have gone into the account recovery process to speed it up and to increase reliability.
Avatars have seen lots of love! Check out the new Marketplace and Avatar Props.
- Avatar Props – You can now equip your avatar with animated items they can carry around and interact with.
- Avatar Marketplace – Reflect your sense of style with the new Avatar Marketplace. Download and purchase premium items, including branded apparel from your favorite fashion labels and Xbox 360 games.
Now you can watch movies with your friends and find new movies to add to your Instant Queue without leaving your seat.
- Party Watch – Catch a show with your friends! You can now bring your party into Netflix and watch a movie or TV show together.
- Find Content Faster – You can now browse through New Releases and other genre lists based on the types of shows youâ€™ve previously watched, all from the comfort of your couch.
- Improved Playback Experience – Improvements have been made to ensure a better experience when adapting to changing network conditions.
- Improved Presence -Richer information is now displayed in the Friends channel and in the Guide showing what you and your friends are watching.
Various improvements have been made to make it easier for you to see your game in the highest resolution possible when using an HDMI connection.
- Display Discovery – This feature allows you to override audio and/or video formats independent of the display’s capabilities.
- How it works – By default, the console uses the information provided by the display (via its EDID) to determine the audio and video capabilities of the device. However, often the data is invalid or malformed, hence compatibility issues are encountered. When disabling display discovery, the EDID of the display is ignored, thereby, enabling the audio and video settings to be overridden with the desired format regardless of display support.
- Who should use it? – The Display Discovery feature is available for DVI and HDMI connections in the Display settings section of System Settings in the dashboard. Please note that Display Discovery should only be disabled if audio and/or video related compatibility issues are encountered – otherwise, the output quality may be compromised.
User ratings help you find content that other people think is awesome!
- How it works – Every piece of game content on Marketplace can now be rated using a 5-star system. Just open up the details on what you want to rate and chose the Rate button. Each time you press the Rate button, you add one star to your personal rating.
- Sort by Ratings – Now you can easily find great games that you might have missed out on. Just visit Browse All in either the Games or Video Marketplace and twist over to the Top Rated games to see what everyoneâ€™s been talking about.
Enjoy the convenience of finding and buying new games right from your couch. You can now download full Xbox 360 games over Xbox LIVE.
- Purchase – You can purchase a game through the Game Marketplace and download it directly to your console. This purchase is also stored in your purchase history so you can delete it and download it again if you run out of space.
- Manuals – Game manuals will be available for these games on Xbox.com so that you will still have access to the full manual that comes with the boxed version of the game.
- Digital Rights Management (DRM) – Games on Demand titles follow the same licensing rights as all other forms of downloadable content. Users are granted a user license that will allow the purchasing Gamertag to play the game on any console, and a console license that will allow anyone to play on the console that the content was originally downloaded to. No physical disc is required to play these games!
Some parts of the dashboard have been slightly re-organized to make it easier to find the things youâ€™re looking for.
- Indie Games – We listened to our community and have decided to change Xbox LIVE Community Games to Xbox LIVE Indie Games. We feel this new name better represents the independent spirit of these titles. User ratings are also available for Indie Games, which will allow you to share your rating for a game and use ratings from others to find new content. We hope these changes will help people discover more games they love.
- Achievement Browser – You can now launch a game directly from the Achievement browser making it even easier for you to max out your Gamerscore.
- Achievement Tracking – A new All Games view inside the Profile panel includes a summary of Achievements earned across all the games played and shows off all your completed games.
- Achievements – Check out the changes to the Achievement browser while playing a game. Itâ€™s now much easier to read through all the achievements so you can rack up the Gamerscore faster.
- Streamlined Navigation – New entry points in the Dashboard for Active Downloads, Redeem Code, Auto Sign-In (via Profile), Create Profile, and Recover Gamer Tag, so that these features are much easier to find.
- Voice Messages – When recording a voice message, a warning is now displayed if no audio is detected so you donâ€™t accidentally send blank messages to your friends.
Weâ€™ve reorganized the Console Settings menu with fewer, more intuitive categories.
- Memory – Time stamps now appear in the Memory Area. This is particularly handy when managing saved games.
- Friends List Sorting – Itâ€™s now much easier to find your friends! Sort your friends list by Activity, Gamertag, or Online Status (default). Just press the Y button while youâ€™re viewing the friends list in the Guide to change the sorting order.