RiM3Y.net | BlogZero

Neither a nerd nor a geek. Just born techie.

RiM3Y.net | BlogZero - Neither a nerd nor a geek. Just born techie.

UnBrick your Linksys router – WRT54GS v7

Why my router got brick?

Alot. Usually it because of power-surge that cause the chip to corrupt your router’s boot-loader. Some people make use of this method to Unbrick the router by shorten the 16 pin of the chip. I personally dont like the trouble of opening my router, so I dont recommend this method.

Some other reason that lead your router to BRICK is… of course firmware upgrade. I have re-written and merge Part 1 and Part 2 of my tutorial to this page. Anyway let get started.

image

Read what others are saying: useful info for troubleshot.

Notes:
Please bear in mind that this tutorial is specifically for Linksys WRT54GS version7. If you got question that is not for “how to unbrick your Linksys router – WRT54GS v7” then the chances are your question will never be answer, ever.

Let me emphasize:
For your router to get brick, the chances are you have an itchy hand to flash the firmware or at least you know how to play around with command prompt. If you don’t know anything about command prompt, the chances are you might not survive by the end of this tutorial and your question might not be answer. 😛

What to expect:
I’m going to show you guys how to UN-Brick brick router. For your info, the router is Linksys Wireless Router with SpeedBooster WRT54GS v7, running Broadcom chip. What inside this tutorial:
– Prerequisite
– Prepare your test computer
– Before Un-bricking begins
– Let the UN-Brick begins

Prerequisite

• Make sure your router really is brick.
    • Un-connect any cable from your router.
    • Connect power plug to your router and turn it on. Let it on for 5 minutes.
    • Then plug ethernet cable to your router, and plug the other end to your computer.
    • Wait until it gives your computer an IP. If you have a “No connectivity or limited connectivity” message, then you might want to look at my other article here (http://blog.rim3y.net/zero/?p=720). If the same problem occur then follow next step.
    • Then ping 192.168.1.1 (assuming that is your router IP)
    • If you received no reply or error, then look at the LED lights.
    • Look at Power light, if the light is dimmer; and there is no LED light for your Wireless; then bad news: you router is Brick.
    • Sometimes the Power light is blinking continuously. This is the same symptom about brick router.
  • Get necessary firmware.
    • If you want to flash the original firmware then you can download it from Linksys. Update: Some people said that sometimes original firmware didn’t work.
    • If you want, you can use DD-Wrt (http://www.dd-wrt.com/). For my case I use DD-WRT firmware which is specifically for my router. Yours may vary.
    • Please read whatever notes and warning on each site. For instance:
      • For WRT54GL – using DD-WRT:
        You need to flash using “mini generic” version first before you can apply “standard generic” version.

WRT54GL v 1/1.1 can go up to “standard generic” version.

• For WRT54GS v7 – using DD-WRT:
        You need to flash it using “VXWorks-killer” first before you can apply “micro generic” version.

WRT54GS v7 can go up to “micro generic” only.

• Once you go the any of the mention website, download any relevant firmware files (the one that ends with “.bin” extension) and put it to “c:\temp” folder. If “c:\temp” folder don’t exist, then create one.
    • Based on this tutorial which is for Linksys WRT54GS v7, we have two files in our “c:\temp”
      – vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin
      – dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin
  • Get the tool:
    • Another tool that you may need is “tftp.exe”, which is TFTP-Client for Windows:

• If you download it, please put it to “c:\temp”
    • If you are using Vista or Windows 7, they have a built in TFTP which you need to enable:
      • Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs
      • Under Programs and Features, click “Turn Windows features on or off”
      • Check TFTP Client, and click OK.

tftp

Now you are getting closer to start un-bricking your router.

Prepare your test computer
You need to make a simple communication between your computer and your router. This mean, using lowest speed possible and manually configuring the IP.

• This is an assumption that your router IP is “192.168.1.1”
  • Open your Network Connections. Right-click your Local Area Connection then click Properties

image1

• Click TCP/IP, then click Properties

image2

• Click “Use the following IP address” then enter below IP:
    IP address: 192.168.1.2
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

This is assuming your router’s IP is “192.168.1.1”

image3
    Click OK.

• Again on Local Area Connection Properties;
    • choose Advance tab
    • Speed & Duplex
    • change value to 10mbps/half duplex

image4

Click OK.

Before Un-bricking begins
Let start already… I know, I know, but lets do another testing to make sure you cover everything up before you start the un-bricking of your router.

• Have you done Hard Reset (aka 30/30/30 reset):?
    If you done that and yet your router still brick then follow next step.

If you haven’t done this yet, then visit http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

• Maintenance Mode Firmware Screen
    The nice thing about Linksys router is that they have Maintenance Mode Firmware Screen. This screen will over-write the router from booting up and instead allows you to upload any firmware to it. The problem is how to get to that page.
  • Its a good idea to turn off your router and make sure it is not connected to power adapter and network cable, at least for 15 minutes (I find this very important)
  • From your testing computer, click Start and on the search field type “cmd
    cmd
  • Command prompt show up
    cmd2
  • At the prompt type (without quote “”):
    ping 192.168.1.1 –t

Again, this is assuming your router IP is 192.168.1.1

• You should received an error message. This is OK.
    cmd3
  • Now take an ethernet cable and plug one end to your testing computer. DON’T connect the other end to your outer yet!
  • Turn on your router’s power adaptor and DON’T connect it to your router yet.
  • Now take your router. PRESS and HOLD the reset button for 10-15 seconds.
  • While still holding the reset button, plug the power to your router.
  • Now connect the other end of the ethernet cable to your router.
  • And… while still holding the reset button, continue holding it for 10-15 seconds.
  • By now you should notice that on the command prompt, there is a reply from your router.
  • Open up any web browser and type (without quote “”):
  • You should get Maintenance Mode Firmware Screen.
  • Remember the download firmware just now? So, now browse to that file which should be located at: “c:\temp”
  • Then click APPLY.
  • You should received a message saying “Update Successful”
  • You command prompt also showing a success reply. Close the web browser. You’re done!

If Maintenance Mode Firmware Screen didn’t work. Then its time for the final show down.

Let the UN-Brick begins

Please bear in mind that before you start this step, make sure your router is not connected to power adapter and network cable, at least for 15 minutes (I find this very important) The objective of this step is to interrupt/attack the router before it able to boot to the current firmware. Your router BRICK because it try to boot up to the current firmware, if its not successful, then it crash, leaving your router useless, thus it BRICK.

• From your testing computer, click Start and on the search field type “cmd
    cmd
  • Command prompt show up
    cmd2
  • At the prompt type (without quote “”):
    ping 192.168.1.1 –t

Again, this is assuming your router IP is 192.168.1.1

• You should received an error message, well just let it running.
    cmd3
  • Next, connect one end of the cable to your testing computer.
  • Press reset button on your router, and DONT let go.
  • At the same time connect the other end of the cable to any other port on your router.
  • Still holding the reset button, connect your router to the power cord.
  • …and STILL holding the reset button, keep pressing it more than 30seconds.
  • Then release the reset button.
  • By the time you doing so, you can see there is a reply from your router.
  • Next, open up another command prompt on your testing computer.
  • Through your command prompt, go to the location where you put your firmware. If you been following this tutorial it should be “c:\temp”

cmd4

• Then type tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put <firmware>
    For our case we have “dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin”, so we type:

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

• You will see successful and your router will restart.

If everything goes well, you might see that your power LED light is brighter, wireless LED lights up, and your current port’s LED keep on blinking. CONGRATS! You just UNBRICK your router!

Tested on: WRT54GS V4, WRT54GS V7, and WRT54GL V1.1, if yours didn’t work; do and redo before asking questions. Thanks.

Read what others are saying: useful info for troubleshot.

• krn says:

That was just awesome dude!! I just unbricked my router that had been stored away for a long time now!!!

Thanks a lot!

Best regards.

8 February 2010 at 10:12 pm
  • BG says:

Worked like a charm! Now I can take back this POS WRT54G2 I bought last night, thanks!!

16 February 2010 at 8:12 pm
  • Mahalo says:

Aloha! Worked great and fast! Good job!

MAHALO

1 March 2010 at 6:32 am
  • caleb says:

when i go to ping my router i dont get an error it says reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=100 .. but i cant connec to 192.168.1.1 in the browser and the power light is dim.

8 March 2010 at 1:55 am
  • Martin says:

YES! this is so damn helpful thanks a lot!!!!

8 March 2010 at 2:40 am
  • Valiant says:

Caleb: If browser didn’t work you can proceed and use tftp method

8 March 2010 at 9:01 am
  • Spam Sorenson says:

It seems I CAN ping 192.168.1.1

did the 30 30 30 and 15 min rest.

But I can’t tftp, I get time out.

I can’t browser connect to 192.168.1.1 I get timeout

Any suggestion?

9 March 2010 at 4:48 pm
  • Spam Sorenson says:

Hmmmm I can telent into it and get dd-wrt v24-sp2. what next?

9 March 2010 at 5:40 pm
  • Spam Sorenson says:

Oh man. dumb me. I forgot to reset the half duplex back to auto, works dandy now.

Thanks for the help!

9 March 2010 at 5:49 pm
  • TrueRock says:

Worked for me. I un-bricked my LinkSys WRT54g-V5 Thank you very much

14 March 2010 at 2:51 am
  • TrueRock says:

1. Unplug power and ethernet from bricked router
    Leave unplugged for 15 minutes

2. Put latest firmware .bin in C:\temp
    For example:
    C:\temp\dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic_2009-10-10_build13064.bin

3. start a cmd window
    put the following at the prompt – but, do not hit enter, yet:
    C:\TEMP>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic_2009-10-10_build13064.bin

4. start another cmd window
    enter the following at the prompt:
    ping 192.168.1.1 -t
    you should see this:

C:\>ping 192.168.1.1 -t

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Destination host unreachable.
    Destination host unreachable.
    Destination host unreachable.
    Destination host unreachable.
    Destination host unreachable.
    Destination host unreachable.
    Destination host unreachable.
    Destination host unreachable.
    Destination host unreachable.
    Destination host unreachable.

5. Leave the ping running in the cmd window.
    This is a way to monitor the status of the computer’s connection to the router.

6. connect ethernet to router

7. press re-set button for 30 seconds

8. while continuing to hold down the re-set button…
    connect the power to the router while continuing to hold down the re-set button for 30 seconds

9. release the re-set button
    after a few seconds, the ping cmd window should start showing this:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=100
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=100
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=100
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=100
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=100
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=100
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=100
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=100
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=100

10. as soon as you see the good pings as shown above, you know the router is ready for the next step. Do not wait – immediately do the following…

11. Go to the first cmd window and enter the tftp command

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

The "Request timed out." message occurs when the router re-boots itself.

The router is now un-bricked.

14 March 2010 at 2:54 am
  • Alex says:

I temporarily bricked my WRT54GS v7.2 trying to upgrade to DD-WRT. I followed the steps meticulously, but ended up with a router that had no power light, no wan light and only a port light. No amount of 30/30/30 resets or any other published net tricks resolved this for me (I tried them all). To make a long story short (and to help others in my predicament), I simply flashed the router with “dd-wrt.v24_micro_olsrd_generic.bin” instead of the plain micro_generic. That’s all I needed to do and now I’m up and running! Hope that helps someone.

29 March 2010 at 6:39 pm
  • Alex says:

I should clarify my above post with the fact that I was never able to access 192.168.1.1 in the “bricked” state. I downloaded Raytec router tools and flashed the correct bin (no password in the tool menu). I assume that tftp’ing the bin file would also have worked, but I’m not going backwards to test that. 🙂

29 March 2010 at 6:41 pm
  • Han says:

I have a WRT54GS v7.2 and recently bricked it; now I have 5 steady lights (1, 2, 3, 4, Internet) and a blinking power light every 4 seconds. I followed this tutorial thoroughly and even waited a day to try it out, but getting NO PING. Still the same lights and no ping. Any ideas?

6 April 2010 at 2:38 am
  • AC says:

I have wrt54gs v1.1. Power light blinks continiously. I am not getting DHCP address and when I put static I am not able to ping my router. But if connected another dhcp server to wan port. Connects but not geting dhcp add. Looks like actinng as switch. Could you help. Thanks

6 April 2010 at 5:26 am
  • AC says:

I have wrt54gs v1.1. Power light blinks continiously. I am not getting DHCP address and when I put static I am not able to ping my router. But if connected another dhcp server to wan port. Connects but not geting dhcp add from this.Looks like actinng as switch. Could you help. Thanks

6 April 2010 at 5:29 am
  • TEKrazy says:

Great work! I just picked one of these up at a garage sale today. The dd-wrt wiki instructions failed me, so I came here. I had to go ahead and do the TFTP install. Now I have DD-WRT working perfectly! Thanks again!

10 April 2010 at 1:15 am
  • josh says:

OK i have tryed every thing i can My cmd tells me /temp is not recognized Why plz help.

15 April 2010 at 4:34 am
  • ds says:

i got a wrt54gl ver 1.1; it probably got a power surge issue. the WLAN works fine and i can on the web interface but the DMZ and the 5 ethernet ports turn on when i plug the power in but then immediately go off. so the DMZ and 5 ethernet ports dont work. what can i do

16 April 2010 at 1:17 pm
  • Michelle says:

19 April 2010 at 6:55 pm
  • Bruce says:

21 May 2010 at 10:53 pm
  • gypski says:

Worked like a charm. Couldn’t ping, did the 30/30/30 waited a while, pinged and the last solution unbricked it after going through the complete process and I was @ dd-wrt gui. Up and running.

31 May 2010 at 9:23 pm
  • Amy says:

4 June 2010 at 6:05 am
  • Alfonso GArcia says:

Hello! plz help me 🙁 i tried this steps

11. Go to the first cmd window and enter the tftp command
    In about 15 seconds you will see this:

C:\TEMP>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.bin
    Transfer successful: 1765376 bytes in 9 seconds, 196152 bytes/s

and then the ping window will do this:

these dont work on me… i cant get it to work.. Please can some one teamviewer with me!!!

14 June 2010 at 5:14 am
  • chris says:

worked brilliantly!! Thanks a bunch!!!

23 June 2010 at 4:37 am
  • Chizz44 says:

CONFIRMED this .bin file works for this model with the method described above. Wait for it, you will get the TTL=64…Don’t be surprised, the tftp transfer happens in about 3 seconds, it’s not an error.

29 June 2010 at 4:09 am
  • smake says:

Thank you!
    Worked on my WRT54G V7.2 Linksys Router

30 June 2010 at 8:56 pm
  • data recovery says:

Nice tutorial. Each thing is nicely explained and it is easily understandable. Appreciate your work.

15 July 2010 at 12:29 pm
  • Peter says:

Great guide the UN-Brick begins worked for me and my wrt 54g v8. GREAT I AM SO HAPPY

27 July 2010 at 7:20 pm
  • Alex says:

Nice! The manager mode one helped me. And I unbricked my router!

2 August 2010 at 8:56 am
  • Desperate Router says:

Thank you sooooo much! This was so helpful!

6 August 2010 at 4:34 am
  • Saku says:

Many thanks! Followed the steps and got the key player in my home network up and running again after bad upgrade.

6 August 2010 at 5:36 am
  • Henke says:

Thank you SO MUCH! I thought for sure my router was toast.
    Very nice step-by-step guide that anyone can understand and follow. Thanks again!

11 August 2010 at 4:57 pm
  • Tim says:

another happy happy person. for me (ubuntu 10.04 NEEDS TFTP INSTALLED) i had to have enet cable attached on both sides hold the reset button and then apply power. open terminal and “cd” to the config files and then:
    ~$: tftp 192.168.1.1
    tftp> mode binary
    tftp> rexmt 1
    tftp> timeout 60
    tftp> put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

23 August 2010 at 8:33 pm
  • Bert D says:

Can anyone tell me if this method MIGHT unbrick my linksys wrt310N ? I bricked it installing the incorrect firmware, now I cannot even access the router with webrowsers.

5 September 2010 at 6:41 am
  • mikeynav58 says:

Hello,

I accidentally “bricked” my Linksys Router WRT54GS v7.2. I tried everything on your website to un brick it, but it still does not work. I have 5 solid lights (4 where the cat5 attaches and 1 internet light). I cannot log into the router and ping 192.168.1.1 does not work along with no network.

I took it apart thinking I can take a jeweler’s tool to a “short pin’s 15 and 16, but this has the Broadcom (not Intel) chips so I do not know which one is the flash chip and what pins to use.
    Can you advise?

Thanks

22 September 2010 at 12:29 am
  • Roverius says:

Worked with my WRT54G v7.0 with Atheros chipset
    I did many procedures before, even build a JTAG interface and had no succes.

This proceure helped me out, it just made my day.

Thanks a lot

23 September 2010 at 11:50 am
  • gckondos says:

After bricking my router (don’t know how) I was ready to trash it. You saved the day.
    Thank You!!!!!

27 October 2010 at 5:17 pm
  • Serghei says:

Worked fine for my WRT54GS v4 with firmware from LinkSys!!!
    Great work!!!
    Thanks!

13 November 2010 at 8:29 am
  • Drifta says:

Ok, here is what worked for me I hope It Can help someone out.

1. No power light – No wireless light – Only Ethernet Light
    2. I did a 30/30/30
    3. Changed TCP/IP IP Address 192.168.1.10 subnet 255.255.255.0 Then Clicked Ok
    4. Used DrayTek Router Tools – Firmware Upgrade Utility 3.6.1
    5. -Router IP 192.168.1.1 -Firmware dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin -No Password -Port 69 Then Click Send
    6. It Then Rebooted After About 2 Minutes
    7. Power light solid and also wireless :0)
    8. Browser Interface then worked as well

Hope this can help someone and thank you everyone that contributed to this forum, I enjoyed all the troubleshooting.

22 November 2010 at 7:25 pm
  • Scott Jones says:

Thank you soooo much. Mine has been bricked for almost a year.I have a WRT54G V 6.0. And it work perfectly.

5 December 2010 at 5:52 pm
  • Jesus says:

BIG THANKS GREAT WORK AWESOME TUTORIAL!!!!!!!!

7 December 2010 at 4:44 am
  • Seth says:

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!! Have my babies!

12 January 2011 at 10:32 pm
  • jonas says:

You have a very good tutorial. I noticed though that you did not mention where & when to use the vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin.

i’ve followed every steps in your instructions but they seems not applicable to my router’s problem.

Ok, I have a linksys WRT54GS V7.2 serial # starts at CGNE.
    Problems:
    1)Cannot access the wireless setting (meaning my wireless connection is not secured & open to everyone within range.
    2)In administration, I can’t access the firmware upgrade page.

My problem started when i upgraded the my firmware to the latest official firmware from cisco. I remembered that the battery went dead during the upgrade process & I did it wirelessly.
    Is there any to fix this?

thanks a lot

2 February 2011 at 4:51 pm
  • dave says:

i tried this guide, and the 2nd part works somewhat, i get transfer complete, but my router never reboots, and it keeps showing request timed out… what can i do

10 February 2011 at 8:17 pm
  • Rossco says:

You dude are f’in awesome! while i Was watching the timeouts you can see exactly what the router is doing then PING its all good…

You legend!

12 February 2011 at 9:32 pm
  • john kizmo says:

I have worked on it…excellent I have learned a lot of things!

25 February 2011 at 12:06 pm